When deciding whether to become an Airbnb host, it's important for you to understand the laws in your city. As a platform and marketplace we do not provide legal advice, but we want to provide some useful links that may help you better understand laws and regulations in Irving. This list is not exhaustive, but it should give you a good start in understanding your local laws. If you have questions, contact Yessemeri Chavez in the city code department, or consult a local lawyer or tax professional.
As of October 1, 2022, registration is required to host in Irving. Register now to continue hosting short-term stays.
Based on Irving’s updated building standards code, all short-term rentals are required to obtain a certificate of registration from the city. You can apply for a certificate of registration by visiting Irving’s online portal. After creating an account, navigate to the Business Center page. Under the orange bell icon, select the "Read Short-Term Rental Certificate of Registration Application" link to complete, pay and submit the STR registration form.
A certificate of registration is valid for 1 year from the date of issuance, and must be renewed annually. The registration fee is $200, and must be paid at the time of application, and subsequently with each renewal.
Applicants will be required to provide the following information in their application:
- The physical/street address of the short-term rental.
- The name, physical/street address, mailing address, facsimile number, e-mail address, telephone number, date of birth, driver's license number, of the owner and agent.
- If the owner is not an individual, the name, physical/street address, mailing address, facsimile number, e-mail address, and telephone number of the corporate representative with authority to act on behalf of the owner and a copy of the documents filed with the Texas Secretary of State establishing the business entity and showing the entity is in good standing with the State of Texas.
- The name and website link to all internet platforms that host advertisements or take reservations for lodging at the short-terms rental at any time during a 12-month period from the date of application.
- The account number issued by the City of Irving for the payment of hotel occupancy taxes in connection with the operation of the short-term rental.
- The number of bedrooms in the short-term rental and the number of off-street parking spaces available on the property where the short-term rental is located.
In addition to registration, short-term rental Hosts in Irving are required to:
- Designate an agent who will be able to arrive at the premises on which a short-term rental is located within one hour of being contacted by a city employee regarding an emergency at the short-term rental or premises. Designated agents must be at least 21 years of age.
- Post and maintain the following information within in their listing:
- The owner's and designated agent's name and 24 hour contact telephone number.
- Pertinent information on forms provided by the code enforcement director.
- A floor plan of evacuation routes and exits within the short-term rental.
- Notify the city code department in writing of any material change in the information contained in the application for a certificate of registration within 7 days of the change, including a change of ownership; management; and advertisements hosted on internet platforms.
Failure to adhere to these requirements may result in a fine of up to $500.
Taxes and fees
Irving imposes a hotel occupancy tax (HOT) of 7% of the cost of booking on short-term rentals. Short-term rental Hosts are required to collect and remit the HOT from guests. For more information about Irving’s HOT, please view Article 16A of the city code, or contact Yessemeri Chavez.
Our commitment to your community
We are committed to working with local officials to help them understand how Airbnb benefits our community. Where needed, we will continue to advocate for changes that will allow regular people to rent out their own homes.
Greinar um tengt efni
- Houston, TXHér eru gagnlegar upplýsingar til að skilja lögin í borginni þinni ef þú ert að hugsa um að gerast gestgjafi á Airbnb.
- Galveston, TXHér eru gagnlegar upplýsingar til að skilja lögin í borginni þinni ef þú ert að hugsa um að gerast gestgjafi á Airbnb.
- Dallas, TXSíða fyrir ábyrga gestaumsjón í Dallas, Texas.