7 íbúar mæla með,
Narberth Castle Narberth Castle is a ruined 12th century fortress made famous in the collection of Welsh folk tales known as The Mabinogion. According to legend Castell Arberth, the palace of Pwyll, Prince of Dyfed, stood here. Pwyll's adventures make up one of the four major branches of the Mabinogion. HISTORY The first mention of a Norman castle at Narberth comes in 1116. That early fortress was a simple motte and bailey enclosure built of timber. In 1199 it was owned by the Marshal family, Earls of Pembroke, though it seems they did little to strengthen the fortifications. It must have been in poor condition by 1220 when Henry III of England called on free men of the region to help the Earl of Pembroke repair Wiston and Narberth castles. In the 13th century that timber castle was rebuilt in stone, possibly after a Welsh attack in 1299. This work is often attributed to Andrew Perrot but it now seems more likely that is was the work of William de Braose, Lord of Abergavenny, who took control of Narberth Castle after he married Eva Marshal, heiress of the Earls of Pembroke. Human remains have been found in the outer bailey, suggesting that this was the graveyard for the early medieval church that was moved to the hillside opposite when the castle was rebuilt in stone. A settlement grew up between the castle and the new church, and over time the settlement became the market town of Narberth. Farm fields stretched out beyond the town and a corn mill was built just beyond the castle. Eva and William's daughter Maud married into the powerful Mortimer family and Narberth Castle formed part of her dowry. When Sir Edmund Mortimer joined Owain Glyndwr's uprising the castle was forfeited to the crown. In 1404 Thomas Carew was rewarded for defending the castle against Glyndwr by being given the lordship. Henry V forgave Mortimer and returned the castle to him but when Mortimer died without an heir in 1425 the castle reverted to the crown. In 1516 it was granted to Sir Rhys ap Thomas, a Welsh hero credited by some historians as the man who killed Richard III at the Battle of Bosworth in 1485. Thomas spent a large sum of money turning the medieval castle into a comfortable Tudor residence. The castle reverted to the crown in 1531 and it seems to have been inhabited until 1657. It was slighted by Cromwell after the Civil War so it was of no military value. It then fell into a sad state of decay. The remains we see today are part of the rebuilding in stone that probably took place in 1246. The keep was begun in that year, and several other towers added in the late 13th century.
Narberth Castle Narberth Castle is a ruined 12th century fortress made famous in the collection of Welsh folk tales known as The Mabinogion. According to legend Castell Arberth, the palace of Pwyll, Prince of Dyfed, stood here. Pwyll's adventures make up one of the four major branches of the Mabinog…
Narberth Castle með upplifunum á Airbnb
Kynnstu þessu táknræna kennileiti í gegnum upplifanir Airbnb í litlum hópferðum með íbúum