Stökkva beint að efni
Leitarniðurstöður fyrir „Portchester“

Top recommendations from locals

“Address Church Road, Portchester, Hampshire, PO16 9QW Portchester Castle’s remarkable history begins in the 3rd century AD when the Romans built a vast fort here. In the 5th century this waterside fortress was transformed into a Saxon settlement, and after the Conquest of 1066 it became a Norman castle. For medieval kings it was an important embarkation point for crossing the Channel. From 1665 Portchester served as a prisoner-of-war camp – a role that reached its height during the French Revolutionary and Napoleonic wars of 1793–1815, when it housed up to 8,000 prisoners, of many nationalities and backgrounds, at any one time. Key facts about Portchester Castle Portchester’s commanding location within Portsmouth harbour has made it a major factor in the defence of the Solent for centuries. Portchester is the best-preserved Roman fort in northern Europe – the only one whose entire defensive circuit survives little altered from when it was built. After the Norman Conquest the Roman walls became the outer defences of a great castle, its main buildings set within one corner of the Roman fort. Surviving medieval buildings include the magnificent Norman keep and an impressive royal palace built in the 1390s for Richard II. Medieval kings used Portchester to gather their forces before crossing the Channel – most famously, it was from here that in 1415 Henry V launched the invasion of France that culminated in his triumph at Agincourt. Portchester’s role as a depot for prisoners of war saw it house 2,500 black and mixed-race prisoners from the Caribbean in 1796–7, as well as a group of French prisoners who set up a theatre in the keep in 1810.”
  • 10 íbúar mæla með
“All the old Guns used in wars. Up on the hill so views across the bay and citys below Nice Drive”
  • 3 íbúar mæla með
“Fantastic cafe right on the river. Beautiful views, and great coffee and food. Good walks along the river, dog friendly.”
  • 6 íbúar mæla með
History Museum
“Fort Nelson, in the civil parish of Boarhunt in the English county of Hampshire, is one of five defensive forts built on the summit of Portsdown Hill in the 1860s, overlooking the important naval base of Portsmouth. It is now part of the Royal Armouries, housing their collection of artillery, and a Grade I Listed Building. Fort Nelson is a typical Polygonal or Palmerston Fort. It is six-sided with a deep ditch protected by three caponiers. Above each caponier is a well-protected emplacement for 13-inch mortars. It was originally entered by two Guthrie rolling bridges and has a barrack block for 172 officers and men, protected by a V-shaped redan. A large open parade ground gives access to the magazines 40 feet underneath it. There are open emplacements on the ramparts for 64 pounder rifled muzzle-loading guns and RML 6.6-inch howitzers. There are also three Haxo casemates for 7 inch rifled breech-loaders. Fort Nelson is one of five Portsdown Forts. Built as a result of the 1859 Royal Commission by Lord Palmerston to prevent a French land attack, on the Portsmouth dockyard only 8 kilometres away, because the older Hilsea Lines at the bottom of the ridge were considered insufficient. A series of 6 forts were built along the 7 miles (10 km) of the ridge. From west to east they are forts Fareham, Wallington, Nelson, Southwick, Widley and Purbrook. The line was finished off at the eastern end with Crookhorn Redoubt and Farlington Redoubt. A garrison of around 200 volunteers accompanied by regular army officers would have manned the fort in time of war. Construction was protracted and Fort Nelson wasn't fully armed until the 1890s. The fort was disarmed in 1907 and then used for accommodation. In 1938, it was converted to an area anti-aircraft ammunition store; ten large magazines were built on the parade ground. Fort Nelson was abandoned in the 1950s. In 1979, after years of neglect and vandalism, it was sold to Hampshire County Council for £50,000. The Council, with assistance of volunteers from the Palmerston Forts Society, restored it at a cost of £3-4million, and it opened to the public in 1994, becoming part of the Royal Armouries in 1995. It houses their collection of artillery. The fort covers around 19 acres (77,000 m2) and is open all year round, with no charges except for some special events. Live firing demonstrations are held every day, costumed guides, video presentations, and visitors are able to explore the tunnels that run below the fort connecting the magazines with gun emplacements. There are displays demonstrating the living and working conditions of the soldiers who manned the fort, and views over Portsmouth, the Solent, Hayling Island and Gosport, with the Isle of Wight beyond.”
  • 4 íbúar mæla með
“Excellent budget priced restaurant if you use the budget menu when available. Part of Old English Inns / Greene King”
  • 1 íbúi mælir með
“This restaurant has an excellent selection of well prepared foods as a buffet - eat as much as you want. It features Japanes, Chinese, Indian and Thai cuisines. It is our preferred eat out asian restaurant.”
  • 1 íbúi mælir með
Ítalskur veitingastaður
Point of Interest
  • 2 íbúar mæla með
Point of Interest
“Great place for adults and kids £6 for kids £10 for adults £13 with shoe hire ”
  • 1 íbúi mælir með
Natural Feature
  • 1 íbúi mælir með